Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Soul Soothingness of Silly Socks

Thinking about Thursday


 Soul Soothingness 
(Yes, I created that word)
Of 
Silly Socks
My actual feet

        It's finals week again. You might have noticed from the lack of useful blog post that my brain has official turned to Tapioca pudding.
 
      To quote Dilbert: 
I feel like I am drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils.

But, I have a secret that makes me smile...I like silly socks.  In my job, my wardrobe is required to be pretty plain. Solid colors, no patterns or stripes. So, about a year ago I decided to invest in some whimsy...I started with socks. 
I know you are probably thinking, is she really going to do a whole blog post about her socks? The answer is no. I'm also going to talk about my friend's underwear. 

One of my dear friends (you know who you are.) once told me that she likes cute (Not sexy, think happy faces~ not thongs) underwear when she has a big presentation or stressful meeting.  On the surface, she is all business. But, underneath it reminds her to keep her sense of humor and not take the world so seriously. 

That is the theory behind my silly socks. 
Yesterday, another co-worker was wearing a particularly cute and very sparkly outfit. When I complimented her on it, she told me, "I have meeting this afternoon with a person who isn't nice to me. This is my way of reminding myself I don't have to be negative back." 

Sounds like good advice to me.
So, what's your secret? Do you have silly socks? Smiley underwear? A special ring or something else that makes you happy when you wear it? 







4 comments:

C. A. Szarek said...

Like your nameless friend, I also have an undie fetish. ALSO no thong... I like the cute ones. I even have some with telephones on them. *blush*

Teri Anne Stanley said...

My job requires me to wear jeans, t-shirts and sneakers most of the time (not really, but if I wore anything nicer, I would just spill acid or something on myself).

But I am due for some new underwear (I honestly don't remember when I last bought underwear).
So maybe I'll go the other way, and get some fancy underwear (still no thong. I spend too much time trying to keep my underwear out of my buttcrack to appreciate a thong. And if I have an accident, even if I am in a coma, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hear the EMT's laughing). But still. Something lacy and naughty?

Jessica R. Patch said...

Hmmm...I don't know about wearing things to make me feel better but sometimes I do things for shock-value and that makes me smile. No not hooker-gear. Last March, I wore my St. Patty's day T-shirt to work. It had a big, fat pint bubbling over on it.

I work at a church.

Funny thing was, staff did double-takes but no one asked if I was wearing a shirt with a Guinness on it! LOL

Jessica R. Patch said...

Hmmm...I don't know about wearing things to make me feel better but sometimes I do things for shock-value and that makes me smile. No not hooker-gear. Last March, I wore my St. Patty's day T-shirt to work. It had a big, fat pint bubbling over on it.

I work at a church.

Funny thing was, staff did double-takes but no one asked if I was wearing a shirt with a Guinness on it! LOL