Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Signs of the Season

Thinking about Thursday


                 With the exception of one year in Missouri, I have lived my whole life in Texas and Oklahoma. Fall here never looks like the picture above.
                  For example, my children are still wearing shorts to school and my thermostat is still set to AC. The temperature this week won't get below 65 degrees, even at night.  So, it is hard to get into the feeling of the season.

                   In fact, I don't associate autumn with the turning of the leaves at all. Instead, I associate it with the smell of chili.
              
                  My mom isn't big on cooking. She has stated on more than one occasion that she could happily live in a house with no kitchen. But every year when the weather would finally turn cold enough to need a jacket instead of a sweatshirt, our house would be filled with the smell of chili.
             
                  The weird part is, I don't even like chili that much but it could definitely be considered one of my comfort foods. One whiff and I see myself in the warm glow of the lamp in parents' living room, sitting on couch with my feet tucked under an afghan, carefully balancing one of mom's special chili bowls on my lap. 

               And that feels like Fall to me.

What about you? What's the weather like where you are? What brings the images of the season to your mind? 
 


5 comments:

Jerrie Alexander said...

Interesting...Chili is the first thing we fix when the weather cools off. And one of the few dishes my husbands will cook. Maybe that's why I like it so much!

Not that I like winter here in Texas, but if I have to have cooler weather a hot bowl of chili with a cold glass of milk helps get through.

Lacie Nezbeth said...

Hi Dawn! We had chili for dinner last night. Must be goin' around. :)

The weather here in Northern CA went from flip flops and shorts to umbrellas and Uggs within two days. I don't really appreciate the transition speed but I am liking the feeling of fall in the air...and the anticipation of upcoming holidays! :)

Keli Gwyn said...

I enjoy the seasons. Summer is my favorite, but fall is upon us here in the Sierra Foothills of California. One of my favorite things about this time of year is starting the pellet stove up again, flopping my legs over the side my comfy armchair in front of the fire, and toasting my toes. Nice!

Loree Huebner said...

The days have been warm followed by beautiful cool nights.

Some of the trees are starting to change. Loving it!

Dawn Alexander said...

Wow, I had no idea the chili thing was such a tradition for other families.

I am not a big fan of winter. I have strong dislike for snow and ice, but I am ready for some chili weather!