Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

What's in a name?

Thinking about Thursday



What's in a Name?



My first name is Dawn because my father was a morning person and told my mom,  "I just know she is going to be as pretty as the sunrise."

No Pressure there, right? 

My mom wanted to name me Cinnamon. True story.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts of starting a new manuscript is naming my characters. It is also one of the most challenging parts for me. 


I like names that mean something, even if I am sure no one else in the world knows the meaning. For example, the WIP I am currently revising has a wonderful dog named Alastair which means "Man's protector".Did you know that?


So, what about you? How do you name your characters? Do you frequent baby name sites? Name them after people you know? Find names that carry the meaning you intend? 

Do you have some names to share with us? 

These names are from a currently shelved, but completed novel.
Can you guess where they are from? (Hint: The novel was built around a theme related to the names)

Scarlett Mitchell
Amber O'Conell
Sage Lacil
Beau Byrd
Kelley Priest
Virginia Ivory 

Any ideas?

6 comments:

Teri Anne Stanley said...

hmmm...well, I get the Gone with the Wind thing from Scarlett Mitchell...not so clear on the rest! For some reason, Kelley Priest makes me think of 90210...

My character names tend to be pretty boring. I just try really hard NOT to name anyone after someone I live with!

Dawn Alexander said...

I will admit the Mitchell part of Scarlett's name is a nod to Margret Mitchell who wrote Gone with the Wind. But the Scarlett, and the rest of the names are NOT from that book... or 90210!

Other guesses?

Anonymous said...

looks like colors to me, scarlett, sage, ivory, amber, don't know the other two though...hmmm

Dawn Alexander said...

They are all colors... But why colors? Hmm, *secret giggle*

Genevieve Wilson said...

Well, colors make me think of a quilt. Quilts make me think of being cold. Being cold makes me think of snow skiing. Snow skiing makes me think of falling down and looking like a fool. Looking like a fool makes me think of my eighth grade stint at cheerleading, which makes me think about our mascot. I got it! Pirates. Those names are all about pirates, right? No?

I have

Dawn Alexander said...

Pirates! Yes, Genevieve wins. Well, no, not really, but you worked so hard to get that I felt bad telling you it was incorrect! :)