Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Plot Swap

Friday Plot Swap

Dawn's Plot Swap
Have a plot? Leave one
Need a plot ? Take one 

           As a mystery/suspense writer, I find news stories to be an endless source of inspiration. I have a dear friend who sends me interesting and strange news stories in the name of "research". Most of these involve events like a man robbing a McDonald's dressed as a chicken.

          It would be easy to fall back on "Wow, there are crazy people in the world." and I am sure that is true in some cases. But, I always wonder. What led up that moment? Why a chicken suit? Why that particular McDonald's? What was the inciting incident? 

    That leads me to my new blog feature:
Friday Plot Swap
              Have you seen a news story that got your wheels turning?  Do you have a plot in your head that would make a great story, just not one you intend to write?  Leave it here on Fridays or pick up a plot for your weekend writing time.
                
               Here is what I have for you this Friday: 

 
 
      

             So, read any good plots lately?
 
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow....those are good. I could probably run with the 2nd one, though I won't. Seriously?? Great post. Sorry to say I have no plots to share with you today, but will indeed keep my eye out for some now.

Linnette Rochelle said...

I-44 in Springfield, MO was shut down after a tanker ran into a median, turned over and spilled 20,000 pounds of mayo all over the interstate. The officer said it was as slippery as walking on ice.

Linnette Rochelle said...

BTW, I like all three, but I really like the thrid. That one had me laughing and my imagination running with all kinds of scenarios. :D

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have one that has been with me for a couple of years now...and I know I'm not going to write it because it would be TOO hard. So maybe someone else can take it on.

A busy frazzled single mom of an infant, trying to do too much, is running late for work one morning and with her head going 500 different directions drives straight to work, goes in and is late for a meeting so flies through her morning, only to realize later in the day that she never went to the daycare. Her baby was asleep and too quiet in the backseat, and in her mind she'd already dropped her off.

It's summer. So you know what happens. I can't even finish this thought much less write the frickin story, but I've always thought about what kind of horror that would be. What kind of guilt and self-hate.

Dawn Alexander said...

Mitzi~ Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you liked the stories. I hope this is something we can keep up!

Linnette~ Love the Mayo story. That could go in all sorts of directions. My mind was spinning at the third one also. Why naked? I can get that you are hungry, but put your robe one!

Sharla~ That is also a story I could never writer. Too dark and scary for me!

Teri Anne Stanley said...

Okay, I'm totally late for this to be a friday thing, but here's a true thing that happened here a few years ago:
A woman who took care of an old man, killed him and kept him in the basement for months while she collected and cashed his social security checks, and spent the money at Bingo at my daughter's school. euuuwww!

Dawn Alexander said...

Teri~ WOW. That is about all I can say to that one!

Chantel said...

So let me add more to #3. True story, had a friend who worked in a SR Home. They had a man who would stand in front of the window naked, waving to those who passed by with a smile on his face.