Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thinking about ... Thursday

 Today, I am thinking about...
Where to begin?
I am pondering a complete rewrite of the opening scene in my entry for the Great Expectations Contest. Based on feedback from the last contest, I may have started at the wrong place. I love some of the lines in the scene as it is. I hate to lose the character interaction, but it is mostly back story presented through a cast (no, really, they are doing a theater production) of characters.

A judge suggested starting at the next scene and including the information from the first by using introspection. I am not real clear how to do that. 

I am also not sure I will have enough to time to completely rewrite it the way I think it should go. After all, it is the holidays!

So, that is what I am thinking about today. What about you? Have you ever moved your starting point and it worked out for the best? Can you give some suggestions on using introspection without it becoming a "telling, not showing" problem? What is on your mind about your writing?

2 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Dawn -

I saw your comment on Jody Hedlund's blog. We all start somewhere, and reaching out to others is a great way to connect. I've become a Follower and invite you to visit my blog and the many friends I've made. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Dawn Alexander said...

Thank you so much for visiting! I will be sure to stop by your blog as well.