Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Well, that was brutal...

I received my first critiques from a writing contest today. Really, my first critiques ever.

Wow, evidently I suck at this and no has bothered to tell me.

First, let me say Thank You to the judges who took the time to leave specific comments and feedback. I appreciate it and I am sure when I am done wallowing in self-pity, I will put those comments to good use.

I understand constructive criticism and all of the comments, even the negative ones, were delivered as professionally and gently as possible. I am still pouting.

This has been a rough week. I felt terrible most of the week. I can't get past the first 1000 words of my NaNo and my husband is gone until Sunday. So, I don't have anyone to point out "They said you had a good premise." or "This one said you had a nice voice."

There were positive comments.

But what I see is  I don't know how to use punctuation. I have a weak hook and don't write natural dialogue.
If my manuscript would have been an English assignment and the score sheet a rubric, I would have received a 59 at worst or 74 at best. Being a teacher, that says something to me.


I am not giving up. I will use the comments, make the changes and submit to the Great Expectations Contest. But for tonight, I am going to cry and drown my disappointment in chocolate ice cream.

and possibly admit NaNoWriMo defeat.

2 comments:

Amy DeTrempe said...

Sorry the comments didn't build you up. I've had so many critique partners get similar comments when I thought it was great. Sometimes it is just hard to understand. Eat some chocolate, shed a few tears and get back to work.

Dawn Alexander said...

Thank you, Amy. I feel better about it now. I wallowed for about an hour. Ate chocolate, cried, then remembered I have two kids who don't really care what Mommy is writing. They cheered me up with dinner out and Land Before Time (Number 806, I think!)

When my husband got home, we went over it together. I have some perspective now. I am ready to get after it again.

Thank you for stopping by!